Monday, May 12, 2014

Some LDS Missionaries serving in Eastern States Mission,in the 1911 - 1960's

2021: 2nd Miracle! I have found the originals of these pictures! If you are related and want them, please let me know your address via email or message me on FB and I will send it to you. 

2021: Miracle!  Found the missing pictures on a different computer and have installed them.

2020 UPDATE: Sadly, I think threw away the originals years ago (in 2015 or so), not knowing, of course, that Blogger would take off all the pictures! I left the information that had been on the back of the photos.  

This is a side step from what I usually do on my genealogy blog, but I feel the need to get this done, so someone must be looking for one of these great men and women.

This collection came from two sources:  my mother-in-law (Bessie Erickson) who moved to Idaho in the late 1930s and her sister (Valeda Stetson) who remained in Maine. The pictures were in my mother-in-law's things when she died in 2009.  

If you've seen Robots (the cartoon starring the voice of Robin Williams and various other voice actors), you'll recognize the "See a need, fill a need" philosophy I felt when I considered tossing these pictures.  I've seen a lot of valuable pictures thrown away because people have no idea the thrift stores including Deseret Industries) do not have a place to put them.  One of the most horrible things I've witnessed was the days I volunteered at our local D.I. and saw several genealogy books (WITH PICTURES!) thrown out. Update:  My mistake was believing that the photos would be safe here, on Blogger. I thought once they were attached I would have no problem and they'd be, for lack of a better term, "forever" so, lesson learned.

Many of the photos below are vintage one-of-a-kind and deserve respect.  I place them here, in the 'cyber cloud' since I will soon have to dispose of the hard copies. Note:  now I realize I could have sent them to the church historical department. 

This post contains three parts - part one, all of the pictures are identified, part two the pictures of my mother-in-law and her family (before she met or married my father-in-law) with different Elders/Sisters, and part three are those Missionaries that I could not identify but are very classy photos, and I hope they exist elsewhere. 

Hopefully, people will be checking for and identifying their ancestors.  I've done the best I can to find each of them on findagrave, but it isn't easy because I often don't know more than their name.  So, here goes, in first-name alphabetical order after the official picture of the formation of the mission (taken in September of 1937).



Front Row L to R:  Kenneth Hacking, Abel S Rich, Carl F. Eyring, Fern Chipman Eyring
Second Row Left to right:  Cleon Harris, John A Widstoe, Leah Widstoe
Third Row Left to right: Lawrence Dalton, W Keith Hurren, Charles Brown, Earl Moser
Back Row Left to right:  Chester Becraft, Glen Longhurst, Darl Anderson, Glen Price


Below are individual photos I found. 
Note: I cannot find anyone on Family Search unless they have passed away. Most of the pictures were those sent from Valeda Small Stetson to her sister, Bessie Amelia Small Erickson, 
who moved west in the late 1930's. 


Amasa William Hyde

Amasa William Hyde.  

This photo is on a postcard.  It's similar to the card stock we use now for craft projects

In his own handwriting on the back, he has written:  With very best wishes from Elder Amasa Wm Hyde Preston, Idaho RD #3

I was able to paste it into his findagrave memorial.  He is the husband of my second cousin 3x's removed.






 Andrew Kimball

He is standing outside of the Smalls-Stetsons home.  I'm not sure what the foggy part of the image is from - a fingerprint on a negative? Double Exposure - unlikely. Anyway, I have not been able to find him.









Calvin Nielsen
(with his signature)  

On the back is written Mendon, Utah. 

The photograph appears more 1950's style. 

He is likely still living. 










Carlyle Davenport Marsden
Carlyle Davenport Marsden  

Written on the back is:  May the Lord bless you always!  It's been enjoyable to know you.  Elder Marsden.  He also gave his address as Parowan, Utah.

I have two of these - one with and one without his signature.

Turns out, he is the husband of Bessie Small's 7th cousin.

On a personal note:  I worked with a Dr. Marsden at Weber State College and went to school with Elaine Marsden at Bonneville High School in Ogden.  

I was able to find his findagrave memorial and pasted it there.



This came from her funeral video,
but the photo is her mission picture.
Colleen Beus

On the back was written:  

Dear Bro and Sis Stetson, 

It has been a pleasure knowing and associating with you folks in Bangor.  I appreciate all you've done for me.   It is people like you that make our missions so happy.  May God bless you always.  My love and best wishes, Sister Colleen Beus Hooper, Utah.  Be sure to come see me when you get out west.  Hooper is just out of Ogden.

She is the wife of Bessie Small's 7th cousin.

Found she married John Tippets, and passed away in 2016. 
Here is the link to her funeral video: https://www.lindquistmortuary.com/notices/Colleen-Tippets



Craig S Funk

A postcard picture on card stock, it appears to be 1950-60's style (thinner lapels, Elvis hair)
On the back is written:  To the best Family in Bangor

Dear Stetsons,

I regret to leave Maine because of the blessings I have received while laboring here.  I know that folks like you have been part of these blessings.  Your brother always, Elder Funk  

Then his address:  5 mi Cheua (?) Hot Springs Rd, Fairbanks, Alaska.  School:  997 North 5th West, Provo, Utah

Could not find him. He may not have passed away before this time (2020).



David Jackson

I had two of these.  Both are postcards.  He wrote on the back: 

Dear Sister Stetson,
It's been a pleasure to have been in Bangor to know you saints here.  Blessings Always,  Elder David Jackson.

Then his address:  143 North Orchard Dr.  Moses Lake, Washington

Could not find him.




Delbert Guy Taylor

On the front he wrote: 
Very Sincerely Delbert G Taylor, Rigby Idaho

He is on Family Search and it turns out he is my 2nd cousin, three times removed!

I left a message on Family Search in case anyone wants the photo.







Francis Brigham Taylor
Francis Brigham Taylor

There is no information on this picture except a date:  18 June 1936.

Ironically, he is one of my relatives (1st cousin, twice removed).  

This appears to be a reprint of a photo found elsewhere.











Golda Danzie

Golda (Goldie) Pearl Danzie

Great shot. I don't think it was her that signed her name and the year on the front. Her name is misspelled. On the back is written the year:  1922

She is the wife of my husband's 9th cousin once removed.










Harry L Phillips
Harry L Phillips


Handwritten on back (spelling unchanged):  1 Jan 1964 

To Sister Stetson and Family
Thank you so much for all you have done for me.  I really love you all.  May God bless you always.  Keep up the good missionary work.  We shur love you for it and our Father in Heaven is pleased with you to.  If you ever get out west be shure and look me up ok.  
Love your brother Elder Harry L. Phillips 
121 Vernon Pl. 
Bakersfield, Calif.

Did not find him, likely because he is still alive.




Jack Treasure

1950-60's style photo.

Written on the back:  Dear Bro and Sis Stetson,
I want to thank you for your efforts to help us in our work and let you know we certainly appreciated your fine spirit and Enthusiasm.  Love, Elder Treasure.


Did not find him, likely because he is still alive.






Jennie Marble

On Back:  1928.  
Deweyville, Utah. 
Taken at 84th 4th Street - unclear if this is Bangor or Deweyville.

On a personal Note: my mother-in-law spoke in glowing terms of Jennie.  With her Maine accent it was pronounced:  "Sistah Mah-ble".  

You can find Jennie on Family Search





John Meacham

Postcard photo

On Back:  Dear Brother & Sister Stetson,
I did so want to see you before leaving, but I guess you are not home.  My prayers are for your success and happiness.  God bless you dear people.  Elder M.  

Address:  John A Meacham, Grace, Idaho

Didn't find him - likely still alive






John Richards

On back:  1933  with my mother-in-law's name:  Bessie Small.  He must have given it to her (many missionaries did this).

Have not found him.











Kenneth Hacking and other Elders.

Unknown Elders in back,
In front: Kenneth, perhaps Elder Jacobs, Perhaps Elder Delbert Taylor









 Leland Oswald Christensen
Handwritten on back of postcard-type photo: 
Leland Oswald Christensen, Rexburg Idaho

Was able to find him and pasted this photo to findagrave memorial.

He turned out to be the husband of Bessie Small's 7th cousin once removed.











Mark Dunford Weston


1950's-60's style photo

Written on back;  Elder Mark D Weston
357 Blvd. Logan, Utah

You can find him on Family Search.  1923-1995





Newell Knight Brown



Written on back:  Newell K Brown December 1936.  I know my mother-in-law knew him. The research I've done shows that he is/was her 5th cousin once removed.


He can be found on Family Search







Phyllis Noall
Phyllis Noall

Handwritten on back:  

To the Stetsons,
May your lives be filled with much happiness and joy. May the Lord bless you, always,  
Sincerely,  Phyllis Noall 
421 Wall St. Salt Lake City, Utah

Found her memorial and pasted this picture to it.







Ronald Ball
 On back states: Elder Ronald Ball (he is on the right)
in Maine about 1938





Stephen L Baldwin 


Handwritten on back: 1963

Elder Stephen L Baldwin 
Box 287
Moreland, Idaho

Did not find him, likely still alive







Sybil Hansen
Sybil Hansen

Postcard type photo

Handwritten on back:

To Valeda and Bob and Grammy with the prayers for your welfare from a loving L.M. (Lady Missionary)  
Sybil Hansen
Bangor, Maine Sept. 1942  
Home address:  Preston, Idaho

Research shows she is Bessie Small's 7th cousin.

Found her memorial on findagrave, pasted this picture. Sybil passed away in 2005. Checked 2020 on Family Search and pasted it there.





Sister Tanner


This is the only information I have to identify her.



Willard Petersen and William Welker



On back:  Elder Willard Petersen and Wm Welker

It was from an earlier era - possibly 1910-20's

I couldn't find a definite record of either man on findagrave.

2020 Note:  my guess was good - Willard can be found on Family Search and in the missionary database.  He served his mission from 1922-1913, so he would have served during the time that my mother-in-law's grandparents were members. He is Bessie Small's 11th cousin.

There is an Elder William Barnsley Welker from Bear Lake Idaho that served in the Eastern States Mission in 1911 (no end date). There was a picture of him on the Early LDS Missionaries site.

Here are photos of Elders that stopped by the Small's home and had pictures taken 



Elder Ronald Ball and Bessie Small

Bessie Small
and Elder Elmer R. Moon


Elder Earl Lavon Moser and Bessie Small. Earl is her 7th cousin.


Bessie Small and unknown Elder

Bessie Small and unknown  - possibly Elder Funk?

Bessie Small and Elder Ball



Elder Moser, Elder Harris from Ririe, Idaho, Elder Jacobs, Bessie, Laurel,
Aunt Etta's girls Vera (youngest) Ollie

Laurel Small, Elder Newel K Brown, Bessie Small


Back row: ?, unknown little girl, Valeda Small, unknown little girl, Bessie Small
Front Row:  Elder Jacobs, Elder Cleon Harris (my 3rd cousin once removed), Elder Kenneth Hacking, Laurel Small Note:  Kenneth and Laurel got married

Bessie Small, Elder Elmer R. Moon, Laurel Small


Unknown Elder, Bessie Small




Unknown, Bessie Small, Elder Ball







Taken at Small's home. Back Row:  unknown until you get to the end where (Grammie) Maud Small sits
Front Row: Unknown Elder - possibly Carlyle D Marsden , Bessie Small, Unknown Elder, Valeda Small, Elder Price


UNIDENTIFIED PHOTOS
that, evidently, will remain unknown without your help

















No comments:

Post a Comment