Monday, November 14, 2011

Gentleman Thomas Stacey 1640 Elizabeth abt 1640

Gentleman Thomas Stacey
Parents:  Thomas and Ann
Born abt 1635 Cambridge, England
Married Elizabeth (unknown surname) abt 1663 England
Died June 1680
Buried 15 Jun 1680 Barrington, Cambridge, England
His will was written on 16 June 1679 and is as follows (with modern spelling and explanations in red):

In the Name of God Amen the seventeenth day of June in the year of our Lord God sixteen hundred seventy and nine, I Thomas Stacy of Barrington in the county of Cambridge, Gentleman, being at this present in reasonable health of body and of sound and perfect mind and memory the Lord be praised, do make and declare this my last will and testament in manner and form following (?) first and principally (?) recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God my Heavenly Father and my body to the earth to be decently entombed according to the definition of my executor hereafter in this my will named and as for my temporal estate and worldly goods which my God hath bestowed on me in this life I give and dispose thereof in manner and form following; that is to say (?)

 I give and bequeath unto my brother-in-law, Charles Baron of Little Eversden in the said county of Cambridge, Esquire, all my freehold (common ownership of real property) and copiehold (copyhold: tenure of land based on manorial records) lands and tenements (a room or set of rooms within a house - like modern day apartments) with their appurtenances (an accessory or improvements like a furnace, etc.) in Barrington until Charles Stacy, my son, shall accomplish and attain the age of one and twenty years to the end and purpose thus the said Charles Baron shall out of the (?) fines and profits thereof shall maintain and educate my son Charles during his minority. 

ITEM: I give and bequeath to my said son, Charles Stacy at (?) age of one and twenty years all my freehold and copyhold lands and tenem with their appurtenances named in Barrington aforesaid to have and to hold to him the said Charles, my son,and the heirs of his body lawfully to be begotten and for want of (?) all my said (?) and (?) with their appurtenances in Barrington aforesaid shall be and remain unto my two daughters Dorthie and Anne and their heirs equally to be divided between them.

ITEM: I give and bequeath unto the said Charles Baron all my freehold and copyhold  lands and tenem with their appurtenances in Kirkleyne in the county of Essex until my daughter Dorthie shall accomplish and attain her age of one and twenty years  or be married which of them shall first happen to the end and purpose that the said Charles Baron shall out of the (?) and profits thereof shall maintain and educate my said daughter Dorthie until she shall attain her age of one and twenty years or day of marriage. 

ITEM:  I give and bequeath to my said daughter Dorthie at her age of one and twenty years or day of marriage which shall first happen, all my freehold and copyhold  lands and tenem with their appurtenances in Kirkleyne aforesaid to have and to hold to her the said Dorthie the heirs of her body lawfully to be begotten and for want of (?) all my said land and tenements with their appurtenances in Kirkleyne aforesaid shall be and remain unto my said son Charles Stacy and his heirs forever. 

ITEM: I give and bequeath to my son, Thomas Stacy, the sum of one hundred pounds of lawful money to be paid (?) him  by my executor as followeth, that is to say fifty pounds  (?) within one year next after my decease and fifty pounds (?) within two years after my decease and aforesaid Mr. Thomas Clouton of (?) in the county of Hartford (?Clarke or Cleric?) to maintain and educate my said son, Thomas Stacy. 

ITEM: I give and bequeath to my daughter, Anne Stacy, the sum of five hundred pounds of lawful money to be paid her by my executor at her age of one and twenty years or upon the day of her marriage which of them shall first come.and my will and meaning is that my executor shall maintain and educate my said daughter, Anne, until her age of one and twenty years or day of marriage and of the (?) and advantage to be made of the said five hundred pounds.

ITEM: I give and bequeath to Elizabeth, my wife, the sum of five pounds

All and singular the rest residue and remainder of my money household (?) goods and (?) whatsoever my debts and (?) being first paid and funeral charges defrayed I wholly give and bequeath to my brother-in-law, Charles Baron,  and I make and appoint him, the said Charles Baron, my sole executor  of this my last will and testament and I hereby revoke and renounce all former wills and testaments heretofore by me made either by word or writing in witness whereof I the said Thomas Stacy have hereunto put my name and seal the day and year first above written Thomas Stacy sealed and subscribed Thomas Stacy the seventeenth day of June one thousand six hundred seventy nine and by him then also published to be his last will and testament in the presence of whose (?) (?) written (?) attesting the same and subscribing our names as witnesses thereunto in his presence the mark of William Webb (?) of Great Evensden, Warren Adamo of Little Evensden, John Reynolds Notary Republic     
Sources
His will downloaded from: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk › details
Note:  This was not free
England Deaths and Burials Barrington, Cambridge, England
Family Search
ancestry.com


Elizabeth (unknown surname)
Born abt 1640 England
Died after 1680 - as she is named in her husband's will as follows:
ITEM: I give and bequeath to Elizabeth, my wife, the sum of five pounds
Buried
Sources
Family Search
ancestry.com
Her husband's will

CHILDREN

Charles Stacey
Born 1663
Christened 13 Jun 1664 Barrington, Cambridge, England
Note:  The reason behind the year of birth is because first, Charles is in the will as the oldest son/heir.  Second, because his sister, just younger than him, was christened in the same year, but 3 months later.  I do not think they were twins - they were not mentioned as such in the will.  However, the christenings of both children have sources and because they are valid, this means that Charles had to be born earlier than Dorothy and they could not have been born in the same month or even within a few months of their respective christenings.
Married
Children
Died after 1679 as he is in his father's will as following:
ITEM: I give and bequeath to my said son, Charles Stacy at (?) age of one and twenty years all my freehold and copyhold lands and tenem with their (?) named in Barrington aforesaid to have and to hold to him the said Charles, my son,and the heirs of his body lawfully to be begotten and for want of (?) all my said (?) and (?) their appurtenances in Barrington aforesaid shall be and remain unto my unto my two daughters Dorthie and Anne and their heirs equally to be divided between them.
Buried
Sources
England Births and Christenings 1538-1975 Batch I00475-7 Film 1818360 Dated 1599-1700 p 49
His father's will
Dorothy Stacey
Christened 6 Oct 1664 Barrington, Cambridge, England
Married Robert Barratt 26 Sep 1681 Barrington, Cambridge, England
Children Elizabeth, Dorothy
Died after 1679 as she appears in her father's will as follows:
ITEM:  I give and bequeath to my said daughter Dorthie at her age of one and twenty years or day of marriage which shall first happen, all my freehold and copyhold  lands and tenem with their appurtenances in Kirkleyne aforesaid to have and to hold to her the said Dorthie the heirs of her body lawfully to be begotten and for want of (?) all my said land and tenements with their appurtenances in Kirkleyne aforesaid shall be and remain unto my said son Charles Stacy and his heirs forever. 
Buried
Sources
England Births and Christenings 1538-1975 Batch I00475-7 Film 1818360 Dated 1599-1700 p 49
England Marriages 1538-1973 Batch I00475-7 Film 1818360
Her father's will
*Thomas Stacey
Christened 16 Sep 1666 Barrington, Cambridge, England
Married Elizabeth Woodruff 18 April 1700 Horningsea, Cambridge, England
Children: Elizabeth, Thomas, Esther, John, Esther, Ann, Susan
Died after 1679 as he is named in his father's will as follows:
ITEM: I give and bequeath to my son, Thomas Stacy, the sum of one hundred pounds of lawful money to be paid (?) him  by my executor as followeth, that is to say fifty pounds  (?) within one year next after my decease and fifty pounds (?) within two years after my decease and aforesaid Mr. Thomas Clouton of (?) in the county of Hartford (?Clarke or Cleric?) to maintain and educate my said son, Thomas Stacy. 
Buried
Sources
England Births and Christenings 1538-1975 Batch I00475-7 Film 1818360 Dated 1599-1700
His father's will
Ann Stacey
Christened 10 Feb 1673 Barrington, Cambridge, England
Note:  Surname spelled Stacy in record
Married Thomas Holder 18 Jun 1691  Comberton, Cambridgeshire, England
Note:  There is another marriage listed for her on Family Search to Robert Gieve in 1698. If both marriages are true (and both are sourced), her surname on the second marriage should have been Ann Holder (widow) married to Robert Gieve.  It doesn't.  It states that Ann Stacy married Robert Gieve.  

I feel the correct husband is Thomas Holder of Comberton.  

First, because Comberton and Barrington are closer (about five miles) to each other whereas Steeple Morden is more than twice that in the other direction.  Also, there is a burial date for an Ann Holder in 1741, indicating she never remarried.

Died after 1679 as she is mentioned in her father's will as follows: 
ITEM: I give and bequeath to my daughter, Anne Stacy, the sum of five hundred pounds of lawful money to be paid her by my executor at her age of one and twenty years or upon the day of her marriage which of them shall first come.and my will and meaning is that my executor shall maintain and educate my said daughter, Anne, until her age of one and twenty years or day of marriage and of the (?) and advantage to be made of the said five hundred pounds.
Died February 1741 Comberton, Cambridge, England
Buried 25 February 1741 Comberton, Cambridge, England
Sources
England Births and Christenings 1538-1975 Batch I00475-7 Film 1818360 Dated 1599-1700 p 57
Her father's will

No comments:

Post a Comment