Thursday, December 4, 2008

Will of Anthony Alexander 1741

This is my 8GGF.
Ancestral File (AF) has the many Anthony's, but the information isn't backed up by sources.
Here is a valid source: www.ncgenweb.us which is where the information below came from. There is a ton of original extracted information I have been gathering from this website, including more family wills, deaths, and even information on orphans! What was not answered is who this Anthony was married to. On AF I've seen the names Bridget, Ann, and Sarah. Considering the number of children he had, this could all be true. If anyone out there has a documented source, I'd be happy to hear about it. My grandmother's FGS (Family Group Sheet) had Bridget listed. I keep wondering if there are a few too many Anthony's out there - one FGS has this man born in 1635 and not dying until 1741 - not impossible, but very unlikely since he'd be 106 years old! His real death year was 1742, the records I looked at (Tyrrell County Estate Records) didn't give a date or month.


ALEXANDER, ANTHONY
Secretary of State Papers
Colony of North Carolina
Tyrrell County Dated
29 July 1741

In the Name of God Amen the twenty ninth day of July 1741 I Anthony Alexander of ye provance of North Carolina and County of Tyrell husbandman being Sick and weak in body but of perfict mind and memory Thanks be given to God therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to dye do make and ordain this my Last will and Testament that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my Soul into ye hands of God that gave it and my body I recommend to ye Earth to be buried in decent Christian burial at ye discretion of my Executors nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive ye same again by ye mighty power of God and as touching such worldy Estate where with it hath pleased God to bless me in this life I give devise and dispose of ye same in ye following manner and form.
Imprismis I give and bequeath unto my loving son Anthony Alexander Junior one Shiling Sterling
Item: I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Alexander one Shiling Sterling
Item: I give and bequeath unto my daughter Anne one shilin Sterling.
Item: I give and bequeath unto my son Lamuel Alexander one Shiling Sterling
Item: I give and bequeath unto my son Benjamin Alexander one Shiling Sterling
Item: I give and bequeath to my daugher Raehel one shiling Sterling
Item: I give to my daughter Prisilla one shilng sterling.
Item: I give to my son Isaac Alexander one shiling sterling
Item: I give to my daughter Sarah one shiling sterling.
Item: I give to my my son in law Thomas Bateman one shiling sterling.
Item: I give and bequeath unto my son John Alexander ye plantation known by the name of ye Mocason containing one hunderd and forty acres to him and his heirs for Ever and all ye female of cow kind that I have in my stock of his mark and a young Mare.
Item. I give my son Josiah my plantation knone by ye name of Huttell fields containing ninty fore acres to him and his heirs forever and all ye female Cow kind that shall be found with his mark in my stock and a young mare more over I give and bequeath unto John Alexander and Josiah my two sones one negro women named Rilly and ............................... and if either of them should dye without heir then ye other to inherit and if both should dye without heir then to fall among my youngest children to be equally divided at ye discression of my Executors as I shall name hereafter.
Item I give and bequeath unto my Son Giddion one negro girl Dyna Except ye first child that she should bring that shall live then which I give to my daughter Jane and if ye sd. Giddion should offer to make sail of ye sd. negro girl when he comes 40 years of discression to any person then my Executors may lawfully by force and virtue of this my last will and testyment take ye negro or ye fair money and put it to what use he or they shall think fit that shall be Servicable(?) to his generation
Item I give unto my sons John and Josias one large fether bed that is at ye plantation of Alexander Hopkins
Item I give my neigro fellow named Cato to the discression of my Executor for ye good and bringin up of my young children which he shall have under his care during ye fellows life.
Item I give and bequeath unto my son Giddyon and my fore younger daughters Naomie Pasiate Jane and Selk(?) all ye remainer of house goods and stock of chalel sheep and hogs that shall be found after my deth to be equaly divided at ye discression of my Executors amongst them five
Item I give and bequeath unto my well beloved son Joshua Allexander my neigro fellow named Gorge to him and his heirs for Ever
Home(?) I likewise constitute mak and ordain will Othemas(?) Ludford to be my hole and Sole executors of this my Last will and testement and I do hereby utterly dissallow revoke and disannul all and every other former testaments wills Legacies and bequets and Executors by me in any way before named willed and bequeathed rattifing and confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament in witness whereof I have hear unto set my hand and seal ye day and year above writen. Signed Sealed published pronounced and Declared by ye sd. Anthony Alexander Sener as his last will and testement in ye presents of us ye subscribers
Anthony (his -A- mark) Alexander
Benj. Bidgood Thomas (his -T- mark) Best Christian (her -x- mark) Alexander
Benjamin Bidgood one of the subscribing Evidences tothe execution of the within will this day made oath before me that he saw Anthony Alexander the testator Sign, Seal, and publish the within W____ing as his last will & Tesament and that he the sd. Anthony was then of sound & disposing mind & memory.
________ November anno 1741
J. Montgomery
Return to Tyrrell County Probate Records
Updated July 30, 2001Gordon L. Basnight

No comments:

Post a Comment