Thursday, December 4, 2008

Will of Benjamin Alexander 1784

ALEXANDER, BENJAMIN
State of North Carolina
Tyrrell County
Book 1, page 142
Dated 5 February 1784

In the name of God amen: I Benjamin Alexander of Tyrrell County in the state of North Carolina being weak and low in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be to God for it, knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do constitute and ordain this my last Will and Testament do disannul and revoke all former Wills Gifts or incumbrances whatever,
First I recommend my soul to God that gave it and my body to be buried at the discretion of my Executors hereafter mentioned and as to my worldly goods I give as followeth Viz:

1st- I give to my wifes daughter Elizabeth Johnston one heifer earling
2ly- My will and desire is that my well beloved wife Martha Alexander may have the use of all the remainder of my Estate both real and personal during her widowhood to raise my son Joshua Alexander. She is not to sell to make any waste of it and after her marriage to be as hereafter mentioned.
3ly- My will and desire is that my wife have the use of the third part of my moveable Estate during her natural life and at her marriage for my Executors to take the remainder into their care and dispose of it as hereafter shall be mentioned.
4thly- I give to my beloved son Joshua Alexander at his coming to the age of twenty one years all my Estate both real and personal to him and his heirs forever. 5ly- My will and desire is that if my son Joshua Alexander should die before he comes to age or leaves no heir lawfully begotten of his body that Ludford Alexander son of Isaac Alexander have one cow and calf and the rest of the Estate to be equally divided between my well beloved wife Martha Alexander and my two sisters Ann Bly and Christian Mann to them and their heirs forever. I do hereby disannul all other Wills Gifts or incumbrances whatever and do constitute this, and ordain it to be my last Will and Testament - I nominate and appoint my two friends Isaac Alexander and Thomas Hopkins Executors to this my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and fixt my seal this fifth day of February Anno Dom. One thousand seven hundred and eighty four.

No comments:

Post a Comment