Thursday, December 4, 2008

Will of Christian Alexander: 1760

Christian is given the surname Mann in Benjamins will of 1784 (see his will on this blog). The question is which Benjamin - brother or nephew? Both Ben's have sisters with the name of Ann and Christian, both Christians could have died in or around 1760. In the Will below, it lists two children with the Mann surname which I have colored red indicating whichever Christian this is, she was married at least twice - once to Mr. Mann, and second, to Mr. Alexander. I still do not know which Alexander she married. Nor is it clear which marriage came first - yet.

ALEXANDER, CHRISTAIN
North Carolina Tyrrell County
Book 1, page 53
16 May 1760

In the name of God amen: The sixteenth day of May in the year of our Lord 1760 I Christain Alexander widow in the County of Tyrrel within his majestys province of North Carolina being aged and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soule into the hands of God that gave it and for my I recommend it to the Earth to be buried in a Christain like and decent like manner at the durection of my Executors nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldy Estate where with it hath pleased to bless me in this life I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.
Imprimis - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son Joshua Alexander two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son William Alexander two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son Michiel Alexander two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son Benjamin Alexander two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son Joseph Alexander two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved daughter Ann Mann two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved daughter Christain Mann two shillings sterling money.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved daughter Martha Alexander two shillings sterling money to be raised and paid out of my Estate.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved daughter Sarah Alexander one bolster one rug one blanket and one sheet one iron Cetle one small iron pot and hooks and four pewter spoons one pair of Silver Show Buckells one paire of Silver Sleive Buttons one box iron and heetors one good duck flax wheele one five quart bottle with all my wearing apparel.
Item - I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved young son Ludford Alexander and Isaac Alexander twins whome I likewise constitute make and ordain with their brother Joseph Alexander my only and sole Executors of this my last Will and Testament all and singular my hole Estate real or personal by them the said Ludford Alexander and Isaac Alexander freely to be possessed and inioyed equally to be divided between thr foresaid Ludford Alexander and Isaac Alexander at the duretion of the foresaid Joseph Alexander one of my before mentioned Executors and I case either the said Ludford Alexander or Isaac Alexander should decease without heir lawfully begotten by his body the liveing one to enjoy the hole and I do hereby utterly disallow revoak and disannull all and every other former Testaments Wills Lagcies and Bequests and Executors by me in any ways before this time name willed and bequeathed retfying and confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.
Christain (her -x- mark) Alexander
Signed sealed and published in the presence of Jos. Alexander, Elizabeth Alexander, Stephen Norman

No comments:

Post a Comment